Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Latest Read


I finished reading The Lovely Bones last night. I cried when I finished it. Few books have had that kind of impact on me. The characters on the pages really captured your heart and you felt like you got to know each one very intimate. I have to say, it's one of the best books I've read in a long time. The relationship the father has with his daughter and the impact of her death to the family and to his relationship with his wife are profound. I dont' know how people get through a loss of a child. I think it has to be one of the most painful, unbearable kinds of losses imaginable. The ending of the book brought on a rush of emotions and tied up all the loose ends unlike some books that leave you hanging. I know that they have made a movie about this book, and I just hope it does it justice. I dont' understand how a screenplay writer can take a book, simple plot, and turn the whole thing upside down so there is no resemblence of the plot at all...how do you change a book?? I hestitate to see the movie because of this and have been dissappointed so many time after reading a book and then seeing the movie that was made. I can only hope that the writer didnt' allow this to happen to such and wonderful story. If you haven't read The Lovely Bones yet, I encourage you to do so... Happy New Year to all...Tracey

4 comments:

Laura said...

Even though I read this book a long time ago, I have never been able to get the plot out of my mind.

It was that powerful.

Have a Happy New Year!

Laura

Andrea said...

I read this book a few years ago, but I will not go to the movie. After reading books, the movies usually are not up to par for me.

Blessings, andrea

Dawn said...

I saw this movie advertised the other day and I'm anxious to see it, we NEVER go to the movies, we rent or watch Demand. I can't wait the movie looks like a obsessed parent trying to find the secret to his daughters death. It is horrid to think about being in that situation.

Connie said...

I hope you don't mind that I visit your blog. I'm going to put your latest read on the reserve list at the library. Thanks for the book review. You have a great blog. Love your red Christmas tree!