Wednesday, January 6, 2010

How clutter filled is your life???

With the new year always comes the hopes of losing weight or getting organized, or getting your finances in order. Is it because we look at a new year as a clean sheet, a blank page to write our future, document our progress or just design a new lifestyle? Not sure what your new year will bring, but mine is the ongoing process of trying to pare down my life to get it to a simple, less cluttered place. I live in a very little house, with lots of stuff and the need to be very organize and utilize all the space I have, which is very little. I've tried for years and continue to give, throw and donate things I don't use anymore.
I recently saw an idea I love,,, put a stickers on items that are seldom used items..if you use it, wear it, move it, or touch it...take the sticker off.... it means you get to keep it for another year... if the sticker is still on the item..after 6 months...get rid of it. We are all collector of things,, myself included (love snowmen!!)...but how many snowmen do I really need... is all that "stuff" really necessary?? Is it contributing to my enjoyment or ease in life?? I plan on trying the "sticker" challenge and see just how much I can really live without and how much clutter I keep around for my own personal need.......How much simpler could your life be??

11 comments:

Kathleen said...

Hello Sista! As you know I live in a small house too. However, as you know, I love stuff. All my stuff. I hate to get rid of anything. I want it all. Not sure I want a simple life, without clutter. I hate to admit it, but I really want more stuff. I fail the test, I guess. Love ya, Kath

Mandi @ Finding Home said...

Oh boy - that's a painful one - thinking about getting rid of some of my decor items that I haven't put out in such a long time. Things I loved at one point, and maybe still sort of do, in the hopes that at one point I'll display them. I admire your bravery for doing this sticker method! Though I do want simpiler. Such a balance. Sticker method....hmmm...

Sea Witch said...

My head is often filled with clutter but I can't help it...it is my nature. Sea Witch

BINKSY said...

This is a really good post

Michelle said...

What an awesome idea! Ummm....except I will need to probably spend over $100 on the stickers alone. Lol! I think I will wait to try this until I am completely unpacked. :)

Connie said...

When I de-clutter my home I de-clutter my mind and that's quite an accomplishment! Great idea with the stickers. My way of thinking has always been, if there's 6 months of dust on an item, it can go bye-bye!
Have a great day!

Small House said...

OH MAN...I'm a cluttered mess right now. We are home long enough to make a mess, and walk right back out the door, leaving the mess behind!
Great sticker idea. I need to just get a big sack!!
Have a great day.

Dawn said...

Ohhh, I'm learning....my hubs is a pack-rat and we have 2 little pack-rats! But, like you, I want a simpiler life.

Gingeyginge said...

Thank you for your comment...Yes dry shampoo really does work!

Michelle said...

Have a wonderful weekend, Tracey!! Do you guys still have snow there? I was thinking of you last night when I pulled my biscuits out of the oven with your pink mits I won in your giveaway. :)

xoxo

Michelle

Jessica Cangiano said...

I think this is a wonderful point that we should all carry with us throughout life. While it's important to be surrounded by the people and possessions you cherish, one doesn't have to hold onto every doodad or garment they amass.

I like my home to be in order and tidy, so I do housework often to help cut down on potential clutter. About four times a year I also do a "spring cleaning" to further stay on top of anything that might pose a clutter threat ;D

I think that where I could use more free space though is in my thoughts. I've gotten a bit better over the years about worrying less, but I still have a ways to go before my mind is free of all the mental clutter that stress and worry bring.


Wishing you a beautiful Friday & fantastic weekend ahead, sweet friend!
♥ Jessica