Monday, October 4, 2010

Older and Wiser

Does this ring a bell?..when you were young you went along with other people and their wacky ideas.. you were to afraid to challenge them and go your own way. Afraid of what others thought if you decided to listen to your own drummer.
Well, I had an experience this past weekend that really made me happy I am an adult and a wiser one at that!
My girlfriends and I went to Sunday River ( a ski resort in Bethel, Maine) on Friday.... (we do a Zumba performance for a health fair every year)....Our plans were to do the performance and then go to one of the girls camps about an hour away.
So when we were finished, we gathered in our cars (I had my own,, lucky me) and took off to follow the leader. Before I knew it we were on an unfamiliar dirt road stopping by a camp I had never seen. Apparently the plan had changed without my knowledge. Now, I have anxiety/panic issues and if you know that.. you can see what is coming.
I had a full blown attack, sat in my car and with everyone knowing what was going on, the plans to move along didn't happen... I was short of breath, crying and upset. Not one of my friends said, "Lets leave and go about our plans as before".... I was devastated! In the past I would have continued to stay and be upset, but after calling my wonderful sister( Kathleen)... I decided, I have a car and I can leave!! That's what I did. Put that puppy in reverse and came back home!!
Was I too sensitive??? Too blind by panic to be reasonable..I don't think so.
But it's funny to me that in the past, I wouldn't have left. I would have been miserable and let others dictate to me how and what to do.. I'm glad I'm an adult and that I have come a long way to be a wiser and yes, older woman!!

7 comments:

grammie g said...

Hey Tracey...You go girl....your not "getting older" your just getting wiser "in" your older "age"!! ; }
Smart move!!

Gingeyginge said...

You know whats best for you always go with your instincts

jordiegirl said...

Well done you, do what you think is best for yourself. You did the right thing.

Kathleen said...

No matter what it feels like is going on.....listen to your inner voice. And know to always do what is the right thing for you to do...not somebody else. I'm glad you called me! Aren't you glad we have reached this point! Love ya, Your Sista!

Michelle said...

Oh Tracey I have SO been there!! I'm so glad you took it upon yourself to decide on something and go with it. It's so liberating, isn't it? I used to never trust my feelings or instincts but that was only because I didn't have enough confidence. Older and wiser now, I have confidence and am so proud of it...and so proud of you!! Miss you. Sorry I haven't been around. I have gone back to school to finish my bachelor's degree and life has been so busy! Eeek. :)

xoxo

Maryjane-The Beehive Cottage said...

You go girl! And I love your colorful tattoo!

Dustjacket Attic said...

I agree with Gingey, follow your instincts girl!
xoxo DJ